Brittny Kvilhaug shares her mixed media design using Faber-Castell products



Brit1

Hi all! Here is my first project for the Faber-Castell Design Memory Works guest design team. I am super in love with making something from nothing, and this has been a puuuurty fun something to make!! I’ve gotta say, when I first started painting, I was so scared that I might mess up, as if there was even such a thing, and now I see that part of the reason I love this so much is that you CAN’T mess up. No matter what, you always end up with something fantastic, because it comes from your heart. So here is my Two Hearts canvas.
Brit2
Cover your canvas with sewing patterns, using a gloss gel medium such as Decoupage or Mod Podge. Wrinkles will form and that is a good thing! It adds lots of texture later on.
Brit3
Use a palette knife to spread acrylic paint over stencils to add some great texture to your canvas. Dry with a heat tool to speed up the process.

Brit4
Smooth a metallic gelato over certain areas of the canvas, using no water. The wrinkles in the pattern will catch the color nicely. Let it sit for a few minutes and then add some acrylic paint and paper ephemera.
Brit5
Squeeze some acrylic paint onto a rubber scraper and scrape onto the canvas to get some great smearing effects. Coat with another layer of glossy gel medium.
Brit6
Spread another coat of gelato  over the canvas.
Brit7
Use a few different colors of the Stamper’s Big Brush Pen to create lots of depth on your canvas. Be sure to rub in with your finger to get the best results. It is going to pick up the texture from your brush strokes and just generally make everything look super yummy.
Brit8
Drip some white acrylic paint from about 12 inches above your canvas to get a splatter look on your canvas, add some poetic words, and just keep blending! I used a black pearl pen to add some dimension over the hearts that I shaded with my Stamper’s Big Brush Pens. {LOVE}
Brit9
Apply rub-ons and use Thickers to spell out a title and cover with glossy gel medium. Allow to dry and outline with Silver Metallic Pitt Artist Pen and Black Pitt Artist Pen.
Brit10
I love how you can see through all the layers to the pattern tissue. There’s just so much depth and warmth when you are able to layer mediums and still retain their original colors.  I don’t know when dirty, yucky, and old-looking became gorgeous again, but I am in love!!

Supply List:
6x12 Canvas
Gloss Gel Medium
Paint Brush
Scraping Tool
Palette Knife
Sewing Pattern
Acrylic Paint
Stencils
Paper Ephemera
Thickers
Rub-Ons
Gelatos
Metallic Gelatos
Stamper’s Big Brush Pens
Essential Pitt Artist Pens
Metallic Pitt Artist Pens

No comments:

Post a Comment

For more information feel free to email me at dbjdesigns@gmail.com or leave a post on this blog.