Mini Fold Book

Grab a warm cup of hot cocoa and some cookies and get cozy... I've got a whopping fun post for you today! I've been working on this project all week... working out all the kinks. :) Almost everything I'm using today is by Papertrey Ink.
I've always been a fan of mini books... little ones specifically. I enjoy carrying them in my purse and being able to pop one out anytime. As I was pondering Christmas presents for friends and teachers I thought about how neat it would be to have a mini book calender, so I tried it out! I created  a fun and easy fold book with it's own unique binding to keep everything protected too. It's SO versatile ... I've even started a family photo book for myself to keep with me as I am out and about.  Here are the two together. (Click on any photo to view a larger, more detailed photo.)
IMG_1040

This little Mini Fold book was inspired by some children's books that I have that open and fold out. I adjusted the idea a little but it can easily be created to have the layers open in one continuous stream too.
Here's how to make it:
First you will need to score your cardstock (8.5 x 11) at 3, 6 and 9 inches with the cardstock horizontally positioned in the scorring tool.
IMG_1040
Next, trim the cardstock, cutting down over the score lines, at 2 3/4". You will get three strips from 1 piece of cardstock. Repeat this if you want to add more pages. I think I used 4 strips for the calender.

IMG_1040
Adhering the pages is actually very easy to do. First, fold your score lines alternately. There will be one end that is shorter than the rest. (marked with the red arrows). the first short end will be adhered behind the regular end (marked with blue arrow.) on the next strip.(tip: I shaved off a really tiny bit from the regular end to account for the fold so that the pages would be the same width when finished.) I used Zip Dry for this project because I like the firm hold I get from it.

IMG_1040
When you are finished adhering the strips together, snip off the shot end that is left over as well as a full 3 inch portion if needed, depending on how many strips you use. I'll point out below what the ends should look like when you adhere it to the cover. but think about the fact that you want everything to look like a page on the inside and that will help orient you.
Now, on to the cover...
Score a strip of 2 3/4" x 11" cardstock at 3" and 3 1/2".
IMG_1040
Fold at the at 3 1/2" line and inch the cardstock down on the scoring tool. Score again on the next 3" and 3 1/2", like shown below.
IMG_1040 Then score the last end section in half. (that will be adhered to itself to create a strong front flap.)
Here is what your cover will look like when it's all scored.
IMG_1040
You can see how the doubled over flap has had it's corners rounded here.  Each page has the hand stamped calendar page (scroll down to find them on that link page) as well as a different background stamped in black ink. I love having these pre-printed calender pages available! Simple and classic what the decorative style since I will be giving as a gift. This allows them to make it more their own when they add their little notes and stuff.
 
IMG_1040
Take a close look at this next photo. The first and last pages are adhered to the inside, left portion of the cover while the flap comes on the right side. Because I used the same width they come together seamlessly. There is a little gap that happens with the middle pages but it works. If that bothers you you can add some adhesive tape to the binding. (Another option if to not adhere to last panel to the cover then it will just pull out accordion style.
IMG_1040

Here is the simply decorated front. I wanted something that wouldn't be too fussy on the oustide so that it withstands a ton of use. I used the Distressed Dots and Black & White basics patterned papers to adorn the front flap. The true black ribbon and felt add so much. Especially when the felt is die cut with the Eyelet Lace Border Die.

IMG_1040

A view from the back. I used the Calender Basics set to stamp the side. You may have noticed that I used velcro dots to secure the closure. Magnets would be prettier however they tend to ruin or really demagnetise the magnetic strip on credit cards. Not good huh. :)

IMG_1040
So after I finished my little purse mini flap book calender I thought I would start a mini photo book for my purse. Here is some of it.

IMG_1040
I used smoky Shadow cardstock for this so I went with the black velcro.

The side is stamped with family sentiment from Journaling Circle and the Calendar Basics Set. I used a pen to add a decorative line.

IMG_1012 The front flap is lined with Library ledger paper and a Text Style stamped med. scalloped die cut trim.
IMG_1040
Here is my first page. I will try to share the rest when I finish it up. I've got some more photos that I need to order in a small size for this size book.  These would be great gifts too... either blank for someone to put their own photos in... you could include some pre-stamped journaling circles and such to help them build it too!
IMG_1040
Here are the two from the edge view.

IMG_1040
So many possibilities for this little book! One more view of that initial photo. :)

IMG_1040
Whew... that was a long post! I wanted to add as many photos that were needed to help you be able to make your own little book... I hope that you will! Ohh... I almost forgot to mention that you can store eight of these little sweet things comfortably in the Papertrey Ink egg boxes! Talk about fun gift idea huh! I've been thinking about making some ahead with a decorated box for a gift set!

No comments:

Post a Comment

For more information feel free to email me at dbjdesigns@gmail.com or leave a post on this blog.