Heat Embossed Copic Watercolor by Sharon Harnist

August 10, 2012

When contemplating what to make for you today, I decided I wanted to do one of my all-time favorite coloring techniques, watercolor. I LOVE the painterly look and just sitting down to do it is so relaxing! Naturally I wanted to incorporate my Copics, for their well-known vivid array of colors!
8-EmbCOWatercolor-SH

You may remember a previous project tutorial I posted with a Copic Watercoloring technique here: Copic Watercoloring. Today’s technique is a little different, in that it incorporates heat embossing!
To begin, I stamped this gorgeous Hero Arts Cling-Stencil Flower with VersaMark ink onto Hero Arts Felt Finish Natural White Watercolor Paper and heat embossed with Ranger Clear Embossing Powder & Heat It Craft Tool. This paper is 100# beautiful cream color but if you prefer white, Ellen also carries Hero Arts' Bright White version and her own Essentials by Ellen "warm white color" 140# paper.
8-EmbCOWCPaper-SH
Next, I placed drops of my chosen Copic Various Ink Refills on a Plastic Paint Palette and used a Niji Waterbrush, filled with Copic Colorless Blender Solution, to pick up the colors and color the flowers. These are the colors I used:
8-EmbCOWC-1-SH
Ranger/Tim Holtz also offers a few other fillable water brush options – a Detailer or Broad nib that Ellen carries.
To color the flowers, I used the lighter RV63 refill to quickly cover the entire flower:
8-EmbCOWC-2-SH
leaving the center uncolored:
8-EmbCOWC-3-SH
You can color right over the embossed lines – the embossing powder resists the ink, leaving all of your nicely defined lines!
Then I went back with the darker RV66 and defined some areas:
8-EmbCOWC-4-SH
BV13 Various Ink Refill was used for the blue-violet flowers but I didn’t have a close lighter or darker color to shade with, so I just went over some areas a few more times to create more depth. G43 was used in the same manner for the background.
8-EmbCOWC-5-SH
You can always use just your plain watercolor brush to wash away and thin out the color a little from some areas – that’s what I did with the green background and it let more of the pretty watercolor paper texture show through! YR31 fills the flower centers.
8-EmbCOWatercolorCU-SH
The pretty Everyday Sayings sentiment was stamped with Memento Tuxedo Black ink onto more of the cream watercolor paper, cut into a banner shape, machine zig-zag stitched on the end, and X-Press It Double-Sided Foam Mounting Tape used to pop it up and adhere to the card. The Memory Box Blueberry Notecard used for the card base was a perfect match with the BV13 Copic color!
TIP: To clean up the plastic palette, just use cheap, plain household rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball instead of your more precious Colorless Blender Solution.
Thanks for stopping by today, I hope you have a fabulous weekend creating and I hope you’ll try watercoloring with your Copic Various Ink Refills … 358 colors to choose from sure makes it fun!
~ Sharon
- supplies
Stamps: Hero Arts Cling-Stencil Flower & ClearDesign-Everyday Sayings;
Paper: Hero Arts
Felt Finish Natural White Watercolor Paper; Memory Box Blueberry Notecard & Envelope
Ink: Tsukineko
VersaMark & Memento Tuxedo Black; Copic Various Ink Refills: BV13, G43, RV63, RV66, YR31; 0-Colorless Blender Solution;
Accessories: Ranger
Clear Embossing Powder & Heat It Craft Tool; Niji Waterbrush; Darice Plastic Paint Palette; Copic X-Press It Double-Sided Foam Mounting Tape & High-Tack Tissue Tape; sewing machine + thread

No comments:

Post a Comment

For more information feel free to email me at dbjdesigns@gmail.com or leave a post on this blog.